Sunday 26 April 2009

Lake District Style

I'm back from a week walking and relaxing in the glorious Lake District. We were lucky enough to have gorgeous weather while we were there which, given that it is famous for being the rainiest place in England, was a miracle! It is also famous for being stunningly beautiful:


...and also for being a fab place for afternoon tea which I can certainly vouch for. We had this lovely tea at the Lakeside Hotel and it was scrummy although we had to admit defeat and took most of the cakes home in a doggy bag:


I was delighted to discover that Grasmere, where we were staying, also has a couple of brilliant interiors boutiques in amongst the tea rooms and gift shops. Elk Home has been featured in Living Etc and has a great collection of Mibo cushions, Cowshed skin products, Eames chairs and, my personal favourite because I haven't come accross them before, Herdy throws:

Herdy was set up to help preserve the Lake District and in particular the Herdwick sheep local to the area. A percentage of profits go to Herwick Breeders and the Tourism and Conservation partnership. They make a range of gift items such as mugs and notebooks all featuring the Herdy logo but the throws are my favourite - so soft. They had one draped over an Eames DSW chair in the shop and it looked fab. I feel another addition to my birthday list coming on!

I also fell in love with The Attic which was a lovely little shop full of the sort of stuff you absolutely don't need but suddenly desperately want like ostrich feather dusters, bakelite telephones and wallpaper bunting. The Attic opens into Baldry's bakery and tea room which as well as serving amazing smoked salmon and cream cheese rolls had been done up so prettily:

I loved the church chairs and Farrow and Ball style colours on the walls.

Also, just in case you were thinking of visting Grasmere any time soon, you have, have, have to go to the Jumble Room. The food is really fantastic and the setting is lovely - really welcoming and cosy. It is owned by Andy and Chrissy Hill who also run B&B called Randy Pike. They have have renovated a Gentlemen's hunting lodge and it looks like they have done an amazing job from the before and after photos on their website. Here are a couple of the finished suites:

I know where I want to stay when we go back!

3 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for all the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing about your holiday to the Lake District.
    I am dreaming of going there perhaps sometime soon.
    Do you have any great suggestions of places that are a must see?
    Walks that will take us to enchantment??
    Check out my blog. I love travel in the U.K. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I would definitely recommend a trip to the Lakes - it is arguably the most beautiful place in the UK and the walks are amazing! I would recommend the walk up Loughrigg Fell (low as the fells go but oh the views!) and to Easedale Tarn a magical, still mountain lake the banks of which would be a wonderful setting for a picnic. The walk there also takes in some very pretty waterfalls. When you round the corner and see the lake it is breathtaking. We mostly walked around Grasmere where we were staying but there are a million beautiful walks there to be discovered. Also Dove Cottage, one of Wordsworth's houses is definitely worth a visit. The cottage is tiny but the tour is really interesting and the museum that is attached is surprising large and very well put together.
    Your blog looks lovely Vista Gal - I look forward to reading about your travels!

    ReplyDelete